There are two issues I would like to discuss with students:
1). Once again the suburban was left pitted out by debate kids on the trip to and from Davenport. I don't mind using my vehicle for trips but I do mind having to spend considerable time afterwards cleaning it up. Nate pick up an entire trash bag of trash after arriving back on Saturday night. Someone knocked off the connector cord and connector the the rear window defroster which had to be repaired this morning ($88). I have carpet stains from spilled pop, etc. I think my vehicle should be respected as you would respect your parent's vehicle.
I know Nate feels exactly the same way about his vehicle. Neither of us charge gas or mileage back to the program so your help is expected.
2). I need everyone's cooperation on another matter. Saturday morning we had some issues to deal with regarding behaviour in the hotel. Frankly, I am disappointed. It is not uncommon for a student or two to get a little "wild" on any given trip. Learning how to properly conduct one's self is part of the experience. However, I need leadership from everyone else when a student or two is struggling with something. When positive leadership is shown virtually all of the time everyone comes around. When negative leadership is shown, more problems develope.
Further engagement will always result in worse out of line behaviour. There is a time and place to walk away from a problem and not add more to it. I know there are a number of "unpopular" underclassmen in the program. There always are in any given year. Yet those kids always seem to grow up and become valuable and respected members of the team. But that won't happen if they don't have good role models to look up to in their upperclassmen.
I think we did a poor job of modeling good travel behaviour this weekend and that is uncharacteristic of the students in this program. Nate and I expect better. We need your leadership. We had no team Co-Captain with us this weekend and it showed. It makes me wonder about next year's team leadership.
We have our hands full this weekend with National Qualifier in Spencer and DON'T HAVE TIME TO HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS STUFF. Let's focus on what really matters!
I expect perfect hotel and travel behaviour the rest of the season. Coach Harry