Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Note to Parents regarding the Colorado Shooting

With all that was going on this weekend I failed to find the time to communicate with you regarding the shooting in Colorado although, I got to speak with most of you whose son or daughter knew Karl.
As it turns out there were a couple of kids who knew him of which I wasn't aware.  There were tears at Roosevelt Friday night as the Gustavus camp students learned that it was Karl who was the shooter.  Not only were a number of Minnesota camp kids in the building, the Gustavus coaches were also in the building.

Karl Pierson was the 18 year shooter in the Arapahoe High School Shooting last Friday.  Karl was a speech and debate student and earned a trip to the NFL Nationals in Birmingham last summer.  He was a student of the Gustavus camp as his Mother was a Gustavus alum.  I personally taught Karl
for two years in a row at camp. 

Those who attended the camp in 2011 and 2012 would have at least known who he was.  Those who were in the extemp lab would have know him well.  Perhaps those who attended NFL nationals this past summer had a chance to meet him. 

Last night I sent a terribly difficult email to compose to his mother because that was the only address Gustavus would share with me.  A card would have been more appropriate.  However, I was happy to be able to send an email.  What do you say to a Mother whose child hurt someone else and then took his own life?

I was shocked to have received the reply I received this morning.  It put me in tears.  I will share the email with the team this Wed at team meeting.  Anyone not wanting to hear the email read (if I can read it) is welcome to leave and wait in the hallway for the rest of the team meeting. 

The Karl we knew was not the Karl that has been portrayed in the media.  Karl grew up in a broken family with a divorce finalized in 2010 or 2011.  He was from a wealthy background.  About the only thing he had in his life was speech and debate.  Apparently he and his debate coach got crosswise with one another and he was removed from the team a couple of days prior to the shooting.  But I don't even know how accurate that information is either. 

If your student is struggling with the shooting incident-make sure they see a counselor ASAP.  I have not seen any signs of issues within our group of students.  However an email from a teacher this am suggested we have at least one student struggling with the emotions of the shooting.  I have referred that student to the counselors here in the building and will be visiting with the parents shortly.