Friday, March 18, 2011

Dowling debate classroom upgrade

Several parents have commented on the Dowling article which mentioned physical improvements for Dowling debate as part of their remodeling plan.  This is all I have been able to find:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2011103080329

To my knowledge, Tim Sheaff will return to a normal classroom next fall after spending the past three seasons in the auditorium.  In the past, his classroom was a large one with storage facilities for policy and extemp tubs.  I have no idea what his new classroom will look like but I do know he will be happy to be out of the auditorium.  I do not believe Dowling will have anything special for Tim other than a room specifically configured for debate practice and teaching.

Likewise the Valley set up is specifically for debate practice as well.  Valley has an internal computer lab, storage facilities, and a special lap top arrangement to share data information in a hub set up.  These school laptops may be used by students debating at tournaments.

There are lots of programs around the country with very special facilities for debate.  Dowling and Valley have a better arrangement than us but don't compare to the some of the facilities around the country!