My apologies for being 24 hours late with this but I was so tired when I got home last night and today was very busy...
Rachael Bandstra and Kayleigh Courard Hauri probably won the Drake event but officially they are second losing the final round to Ankeny before a small audience and 3 law school professors. The judges from the law school could not set their personal opinions aside in the debate. Naturally being "activist" lawyers--they could not accept an argument in favor of states rights. They couldn't get their and it was blatantly obvious in their recap. It was sad. One law school prof even called Katrina "an isolated incident." This was after Ankeny argued that only the feds could perform a good job on emergency services and we inquired: how'd that Katrina thing work out for FEMA?
I was super proud of the girls--they were the best I've seen them yet. On a night when Rachael wasn't feeling well, Kayleigh stepped up and really did a nice job keeping some pressure on opponents. Roosevelt was seeded 2nd going into the event and finished 2nd...it was a good night for us.
Okoboji did make it back--THANK YOU for the room offers--it meant a lot to Okoboji that we cared enough to try.