Thursday, January 21, 2010

WOW-WOW Please read ASAP

As many of you know, Mirza Germovic competed in the MBA extemp round robin. Before we left, we received a strange request from MBA--to provide both Amelia Martin and Catherine Chiodo to help run the tournament and get them a MBA experience. It was an odd request. Both girls studies for finals over the Holidays so they could make the trip.

When we arrived, it was clear the MBA didn't trust their own students to help run the round robin portion of the tournament. And for good reason. So the girls did their thing. At awards, as we set down, each girl was given a thank you card containing $100 cash. Both immediately said they couldn't accept it and returned it to the MBA Tournament Director, Adam Johnson. Adam was a little stunned but got it.

Adam is also one of those people considered to be at the very top level of what goes on nationally in speech and debate. He is a consultant for several tournaments and groups and his influence is substantial in the community. We received a letter from Adam this week. I have typed it below:

Harry and Des Moines Roosevelt Forensics Program:

I hope all is well on the Tundra. I spent a couple days and most of my drive home thinking about what I wanted to do with this letter/gift. I can't say enough about how helpful Amelia and Catherine were this weekend. They truly were critical in making the tournament what we want it to be. From being hospitable to simply doing basic grunt work, they did it all and managed to keep the MBA kids from getting in my way!!

So after they decided to return the money I left them, I couldn't decide exactly what I wanted to do. Ultimately, I decided on this: I am incredibly impressed by the type of students and the type of people your program turns out. To most of the world, a school like Roosevelt shouldn't be a successful forensics program; yet you guys are the stars of Iowa and have earned respect nationwide. In recognition of that, I want to make a donation to your program in honor of the work that Catherine and Amelia did this year at Southern Bell.

Their character, work ethic, dedication, and abilities truly are exemplary. It was an honor to have them at the Round Robin this year and I just wanted to do something formal to recognize their exceptional contributions.

Sincerely,

Adam A. Johnson