Monday, August 03, 2009

Summer Camps

I think everyone is back from summer camps now--although I haven't spoken with everyone yet. If we haven't spoken--please call me. Some highlights:

GMIF: We had Tess, Rachael and Amelia at Mason this summer and all 3 came home pumped up and ready to go. Rachael stayed for the extension and WON "Extemp Survivor" which is a first for Roosevelt!

GAC-SSI: Gustavus ended Saturday evening with a big banquet (parents included) and it was a nice finish to a hectic but very successful camp. I was very impressed with how well our 3 students did and how much they grew in one week. Mirza won the camp tournament and received an $8000 Gustavus scholarship in forensics. Minh and Catherine had equally successful camps. Unfortunately for them--we caught a couple of Minnesota Class A coaches for judges who didn't know how to give time signals. That cost each a round and a chance at finals.

NDF: Taylor had a big camp in Boston in LD. She learned a ton much of which can now be taught to our younger LD students.

Northern Ill: Katie Roat loved this camp!

Bradley: Mike Flannery really enjoyed his time at Bradley University and with the Bradley coaching staff.

Like I indicated, I haven't spoken to everyone back from camp yet but I will.

If you didn't attend a camp this summer--try to get to one next summer. Camps are a lot of work--but also a lot of fun!

Coach Harry