After some thought, I have decided to post my intentions for next year now because I hear there is some nervousness about my future plans. I was actually approached 4 times during our tournament. Since then, I have had several parent phone calls inquiring about my intentions.
When hired originally, my stated intention was to stay until the program had been righted and headed the right direction. That means more than just having the best students and parents around. It also means having the resources to fund the program in place, having a full functioning program and having the right coaches in place. It also means not being in the way when the right time comes to leave.
No coach can promise any student that they will remain through their high school career. If such a promise were made, it would be hollow for none of us know what lies ahead in our lives.
For example, I have a business being challenged by the credit and housing downturn and my wife and I have two parents in ill health. And, if Billy chooses to play college football, I would want to see him play. Maybe 5% of Iowa high school athletes get that opprotunity. To think my son was one of those so fortunate is pretty amazing to me. Billy and I have enjoyed a special closeness through his football, debate and baseball. One I shall miss dearly. He has several nice scholarship opportunities and I am excited for him. He has worked very hard these past 4 years and I so hope he is accordingly rewarded.
Even though I have coached my son in his baseball and debate over the years, I learned over time that I wasn't really coaching for him. In fact, I usually do him a disservice by being his coach because I focus elsewhere--on the team as a whole. In December, I learned that all but one of my long standing AAU Baseball team members (I coached them from ages 8-15) have multiple college athletic opprotunities. They now represent some of the best players in the State. These are great kids and all are deserving both athletically and academically.
I've learned the joy of coaching was watching young people mature and grow. The reward sure isn't financial but the reward is far more satisfying than anything else in the world. When one of our students "gets it" or takes a risk or accomplishes something they thought was impossible, that feeling of seeing it firsthand is why I coach. I get to see things parents don't get to see in their children.
I've also learned I'm in the right place coaching at Roosevelt. In late November I made my decision for next year. This was made after visiting with both my wife and my debate coaching partner, Nate. Shortly thereafter, I so notified Roosevelt and our NFL District director Tim Sheaff.
Something else happened in November which made my decision easier:A significant opprotunity has come our way and I want to see that through. We still can't tell you of the opprotunity but know our hard work has paid off and the program will be accordingly rewarded. I was heartened by the immediate support for this opprotunity by our Principal and Activities Director who moved a mountain for us in a matter of two days. When announced, you will see why Coach Nate and I are excitied about the program's future.
And so it is my intention to return next year.
I know Coach Nate will help me figure things out so I can see my son compete in college be it football or forensics. And, I also know each of you will understand and support me in that desire as well.
Coach Harry