See you all in just 3 weeks--hard to believe. We had five students attend camps this summer which is really outstanding....Congratulations to each of you on your commitment and desire to get better. Judy Crane has been back for since about the 3rd week of July. I know she is really pumped up. We now have a real LD person out there--our first since 1999-2000. I hope Judy can win her share of matches and get some new blood in LD going with some younger students.
Anna McDermott and Olivia Sandbothe returned Thursday from George Mason (GMIF) and both seem to be pleased with their camp outcomes. Billy Strong and Sam Fairfield return late Sunday from GMIF's extended session.
Student recruitment has gone well and I will be focusing on that more this next week. We have two commitments and I like what I've seen of both.
We still have no official coach although that may be resolved in about a week or so. Interviews are scheduled next week for a couple of us. So we will see what happens. I do like what I have seen from more than one administrative person at RHS about commitment to debate and speech.
I have spoken to a number of coaches in the metro while I've been recovering from my serious shoulder injuries. I don't think we will be sneaking up on anyone this season! On the other hand, we also have a number of coaches concerned about what could happen at RHS debate this season and the slots it could take away from each of them at Nationals. Don't think for a minute you haven't woken up the community because you have. We have as many or more returning pros than most NFL schools in Western Iowa. You guys all did a fantastic job last year--now we have to show them we really mean business!
PS--I'm in pain 24 hrs a day but I am now starting to get better with each passing day. Another month will make a huge difference. I still have only some motion in my right arm but it is significantly improved from two weeks ago when therapy started. Thanks for your encouragement, calls and messages! This was not my plan as to how to enjoy summer!
Coach Harry