Sunday, November 03, 2013

Savanna Kouri---IMPORTANT

We have a freshman debate student hospitalized this weekend with what turns out to be viral meningitis.  Savanna Kouri is at Mercy in room #365.  Please do not visit as she is likely to be released sometime late Monday afternoon.  I will visit in the morning as I didn't learn about this until tonight. 

We have had now four different types of bugs on this team thus far this fall:

1).  A flu like cold.  I spent a day in bed at the University of Florida with this bug and then developed a healthy cold thereafter.  Oddly my second cold in three weeks.  It starts with a mild fever (2 degrees seems the average for 24 hours). 

2).  Stomach flu.  We've had a couple of kids out with vomiting and other related issues. 

3).  Mono.  One confirmed case of mono and frankly two suspected cases of mono.

4).  Meningitis.  One hospitalized and confirmed case of viral meningitis. 

I spoke to the team last week about the number of illnesses in the program during team meeting.  That some common sense needs to be follows:

a).  wash your hands-a lot
b).  if you have a fever GO HOME
c).  healthy or ill-get plenty of rest as in SLEEP
d).  don't share drinks with one another
e).  drink lots of fluids-particularly water.  Even I had to give up Diet Coke for a day.

Now I am asking parents to pay attention to their debate students for signs of illnesses.  Let me know if something seems out of line with normal colds or flu symptoms please.  I would guess over 30 debate students have been ill with something at this point in time. 

Strong