Of all the stupid things to happen at nationals was my fall. This was a serious fall not a little incident. The truth is I am fortunate to be alive. The long story is this:
In tab on Thursday, our computer misprinted a ballot which needed attention in Judge Call. Judge call is where standby judges are kept. As usual, it is an auditorium which is darkened except for the lights along the sides of the room and the lights shining on the stage where the two people who run judge call are located. I did not know that the rest of the stage was lowered and only the back left side of the stage was raised for judge call. So I walked down the auditorium, climbed 10 feet of stairs and stepped into nothing. Please understand, the room was darkened, the stage floor was black and the lowered section of the floor has no lighting on it so it was black. I had no idea at all. None.
I fell about 16 feet as it turned out. First I bounced off a piano and then landed into a set of speakers.
So I am laying in the bottom of this pit not having a clue where I was...of course, help was right there telling me not to move and 911 had been called. I could move my limbs and didn't feel much pain. I tried to avoid a ride to the hospital but that was rejected at the scene and I was eventually transported on a board via ambulance to Indiana Methodist where I underwent a series of x rays. While beat up pretty good-no major fractures were found and I was released into the custody of Bill Nellans.
By the time I got to the hotel I couldn't even walk I hurt so bad. I want to thank everyone at the hotel because they made my evening as pain free as possible. Bill Nellans checked on me about 2am as instructed since I had a concussion. I was able to get in a car the next morning and return to Des Moines for my son's wedding.
Today I underwent more x-rays. I do have some small fractures and they are looking at a couple of things more closely now. Perhaps tomorrow I will have a better idea of what (if anything) is in my future regarding medical treatment.
For now, I am amazed I survived the fall at all, and was able to be at my son's wedding. I guess God had his chance again at me and didn't have a need for a tough old debate coach!
Thank you everyone who has learned of the fall for your concerns. I apologize to the kids and parents in Indianaplois for scaring you all!