I wanted to offer you, the teams that qualified and your program as a whole my congratulations. I am impressed each year at the quality of debater that you are able to produce and how the students grow from each tournament to the next.
I truly have had the privilege and pleasure of watching Roosevelt PF teams from afar and judging them from time to time. The work you put in is invaluable and the quality of work the students put in and results they produce is nothing short of amazing.
Although our schools our considered rivals and so too are their respective programs (debate included) I treat our rivalry as a means to getting better and producing quality debaters at Lincoln. To me, rivalry doesn't mean that we as programs dislike each other and attack the straw man, but rather our rivalry (in my opinion) is rooted in a deep respect for what you and your fellow coaches have been able to do. The respect extends to the quality of debate, argumentation and thought that your teams carry with them- and that is something anyone can admire and respect- even a rival.
I consider, and have considered over the years, our litmus test for greatness as going head to head with any of your top teams and beating them. I say this because I consider many of those debaters the top in the state and you guys are a great measuring stick for success, competitive drive and dedication. I have enjoyed getting to know Nathan and Kayleigh and watching the team of Hall and Evans grow. I wish them well at Nationals and know they'll represent Des Moines well.
It has been a true honor to coach against you, Nate, Billy, Victor, Sam and others over the years and I admire the staff you've assembled. Sadly this will be my last year at Lincoln but I have no doubt that our rivalry based on respect and competitive drive will be lost in my absence.
Again, I say to your teams that qualified congratulations. To your PF teams, it was an honor for me to have my PFers compete against them and I look forward to hearing about future Nat Qual battles in the years to come.
Congratulations Harry. Congratulations PF teams. Congratulations Roosevelt Debate.
Respectfully,
--
Kyair Butts
Kyair Butts
===================================================
Drake University
School of Journalism and Mass Communication
School of Arts and Sciences
Office of the Iowa Attorney General | Consumer Protection Division
Assistant Forensics Coach | Lincoln High School | Des Moines, IA
515.971.4341