Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Results of the College AFA-NEIT Speech tournament

Mason finished 3rd and Gustavus 10th in the National Individual Events tournament held this past weekend.  Harrison Postler (formerly of IC West) took third for UNI in After Dinner Speaking.  Cloe Radcliff from GAC-SSI was the prose champion.  Brennan Morris of Mason was 2nd in EX and Jacob Abraham was 5th.  Quincy Smith of Mason was the Individual National Champion (and it appears Mason can thank him for saving their bacon in this tournament).  Quincy finaled in 4 events.

Team Standings:

Western Kentucky-Champion
Bradley-2nd
Mason-3rd
Texas-4th
Nebraska (Omaha) 5th
Gustavus 10th
UNI 13th

It appears to be an odd set of team results.  I am wondering if a difference in judging in the Midwest changed the outcome for a lot of teams.  Reviewing the total list, I see a lot of Eastern and Southern Schools struggled in this tournament and schools like UNO and UNI had a huge outcomes.  UNI in speech hasn't been in the top 20 in years. 

Since a number of you know some of these kids and summer camped at these schools, I thought you'd like to know the outcome.  I didn't see where Amelia advanced into elimination rounds.