Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Special October PFD debate

Amelia, Emily, Catherine and Mirza will be performing a special one time only public forum debate on teacher's grading practices before the Roosevelt faculty in late October. It is part of the professional development for Roosevelt teachers this year. The debate is built around the book "Fair is not always Equal." which will be a resource for the staff development.

I need to know which of these two dates will work for the 4 of you after school to meet with Mrs. Danielson and two others in planning for the debate:

Thurs. Sept. 10 - 3:30
Wed. Sept. 16 - 3:30

I will have the exact resolution and reading materials for each of you shortly. In the meantime, I need each of you to decide which date works for you so I can get it scheduled with Mrs. Danielson!

This is an interesting opportunity and a suggestion that came from a Roosevelt staff member involved in the development planning. It is a debate that will provoke some controversy within the teaching staff. I choose the 4 students above based on two of them being educator's children (one on each team) giving them an opportunity to learn more about grading assessments from their parents.

Nate and I are currently reading the book which is about: Assessing and Grading in the Differentiated Classroom. The debate is meant to provide some thought as to how teachers now assess students and how they might in the future.

This assignment adds a little extra early pressure on two of our PFD teams. But it is a huge opportunity to showcase our program and some of our students. Many faculty members have no idea what debate really is about. I suspect we will open some eyes! Coach Harry