Friday, April 11, 2008

Holy Buckets--Check This Out Riders!

NFL District points posted today for everything except Congress. What an impressive tournament on the part of Team Roosevelt! I knew it was good but I didn't know it was this good:

1). Either next year or the following year the District trophey will land at Roosevelt. It has been retired here already twice in the school's history and we are now working on our third time.

2). 5 additional degrees were earned bring our total for the year to 104 new dgrees--oddly the same number as our total strength last season. We now sit at 167 just 2 degrees behind #4 ranked Indianola.

3). With any good fortune at all, Greg Boal, Lillian Chesser, Amelia Martin and Coach Harry should all earn an additional degree based on expected outcomes of the Extemp TOC and NFL Nationals. That means we should beat Indianola for 4th in the State and finish either first or second in the state in new degrees.

4). Billy Strong shot up from 20th in the country in total NFL points to 10th. I see no way he doesn't enter NFL nationals not in the top 25 in total points. I'm guessing he will be around 16th come June 20th. Top 25 (out of 95,000 NFL student members) are High School All Americans.
He can still do it. This is an impossible award to achieve and has only been done once before in Iowa speech and debate history (at Burlington in 2000).

I know the season is over for most of you but for the 8 students still alive in national tournaments there is a lot on the line. Hang tough!