Friday, February 29, 2008

Iowa Senior of the Year

The Iowa High School Forensic League presents an annual award to the outstanding senior in speech and debate each season. Roosevelt nominated Olivia Sandbothe and Billy Strong. There are 13 students nominated. Since most of the IHSFL is based in Eastern Iowa the odds of a Western Iowa student winning the award aren't good. Couple that with Dowling's Megan Koester winning the award last year, I believe an Eastern Iowa student may well win it this season.

I believe Olivia and Billy are amongst the very best of the nominees but I also believe Dowling's case for Alex Baranowski is very-very-very compeling since he helps teach debate and was Dowling's IHSSA coach this season. He spends 3 periods a day with Coach Sheaff helping to teach and mentor.

I share the above with you so you know 1). how difficult it is to win this award being a Des Moines School and 2). There is a solid pool of candidates every year.

I cannot share with you the other nominees and how any school votes. I do think it will be very close. All of the nominees will be recognized during the speech awards on Friday afternoon.
Nate and I considered our vote yesterday and it was cast this morning.

Coach Harry