At the start of the year, we were very clear with everyone about the responsibilities we face as coaches with the new State pass/fail grade law and how it is to be implemented regarding speech and debate. As this grade period ends, you will be given a blue grade card to have teachers sign and return to me. Your grades are personal, but unfortunatly, I have to see them and manage your eligibility. I know the vast majority of our kids are great students who have no issues.
After visiting with the Dean of Students yesterday and reviewing first period grades from parent-teacher conference time, I also discovered that a couple of you have D grades..which means your eligibility will be in danger if your grade falls further. The rule is that you sit 30 days out with one F grade.
There are lots of reasons as to why a student or two would be struggling in one class and not others. We have no one in what I would term academic trouble. And first period grade reporting tends not to be overly reflective of progress in a class...many of those grades could have been based on just one test or porject. Now, however, we will see a better picture.
You need to be aware that there is help at RHS for those struggling in a class. If you think with the new report card marks just coming out, that you need to seek help--ASK NOW! No one from coaches to administration wants you ineligible but it takes your initiative to resolve the problem.
Remember the State law does not provide an exception for AP classes...an F in an AP class is an F period.
Coach Nate and I want your academic progress to be solid...and also want you to know that if you need help--don't be afraid to call us, pull us aside, talk to us after school and ASK.
Thanks, Coach Harry